Project duration: 24 months (2013/2014)
Project is funded by: European Union under the IPA programme – Civil Society Facility Framework Partnership Agreements
In Serbia, the project is supported by: Institute for Sustainable Communities (ISC) and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
Main objective of the project is to contribute to the establishment of comprehensive legislation and policies for the protection of women from violence in the Western Balkans, as a condition for achieving democracy, fulfilment of human rights, social inclusion and harmonisation with European values.
Specific objective of the project is to strengthen the capacity of women’s organisations and networks in 4 countries of the Western Balkans for the analysis, monitoring and advocacy in the field of protection of women against violence, through long-term regional cooperation and learning from the EU experience.
Framework for the project activities is provided in the Council of Europe Convention on Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence.
Expected results of the project:
- Developed skills and knowledge of women’s organisations to actively participate in public dialogue and influence decision makers in the field of protection from gender-based violence.
- Established dialogue between women’s organisations/networks and decision-makers on the harmonisation of national laws and measures for the protection of victims of gender-based violence with the Council of Europe Convention.
- Strengthened capacities of women’s organisations to advocate for the rights of beneficiaries and for monitoring measures of protection from gender-based violence and social inclusion at the local level.
- Established a system for comprehensive monitoring of the implementation of laws and policies related to the Council of Europe Convention.
Main groups of activities:
- Seminars, workshops and training sessions for members of women’s organisations and networks on data collection methods, monitoring the implementation of laws and policies, advocacy activities, developing communication strategies, knowing competences and using mechanisms of independent regulatory bodies (ombudsperson, commissioner for the protection from discrimination, etc.).
- International conferences on violence against women and the importance of the Council of Europe Convention.
- Advocacy activities in connection with the ratification and harmonisation of national laws and policies with the Council of Europe Convention. Preparation of the initial study and recommendations for the improvement of laws and policies.
- Advocating for the rights of beneficiaries, support to women in self-advocating for their rights, monitoring the implementation of local policies of protection from violence and social inclusion policies, proposing solutions.
- Monitoring and assessment of the effects of implementation of the Council of Europe Convention provisions and preparation of regular reports.
Data about the II phase of the project could be found on this link.